This vegetable pasta is great for groups, or if you want a no fuss dinner in a hurry. It came about when I noticed I needed to go grocery shopping, but being a little lazy I just used the bare minimum ingredients that I already had at home. Voilá! It turned out to be a vegetarian delight- flavorful, veggie packed and filling.
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. EVOO
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large beefsteak tomato, diced
3 tbsp. capers
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
red chili flakes (optional)
1. Cook pasta following package instructions. Set aside.
2. As pasta is cooking make sauce: Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and add garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggplant and cook until translucent- stirring frequently about 5 minutes,
3. Stir in tomato paste and cook until paste cooks down, about 2 minutes.
4. Add in chopped tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring ocassionally. Add balsamic and cook for an additional 5 more minutes. Add the cooked pasta and parsley to the sauce mixture and give it a quick toss.
5. Serve with more cilantro and red chili flakes if desired.