So, let's talk about fast food. I'm not a huge fan! For the most part if I get a craving, I opt for some waffle fries and a frosty at most. The one fast food item I do miss from my meat eating days is the Crunchwrap Supreme. Beside the question of where the meat and veggies are really coming from, Taco Bell has got one thing down right, FLAVOR EXPLOSION!!! No matter what you get, you will be sure to get a well seasoned dish. The Crunchwrap Supreme has always been my favorite menu item. Although I liked hard shell tacos, I would never get them because they would instantly crumble in my hands after the first bite. But with a soft shell stuffed with a hard shell you don't have that problem. Voila!
So I of course decided to make a vegan version. It's everything you want- crunchy, soft, cheesy, meaty, veggie focused and flavorful of course. So get your Crunchwrap on!
2 cups raw cashews, soaked
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 (11oz) bag meatless crumbles
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. taco seasoning
8 large tortillas
1/2 cup Vegan Nacho Cheese (recipe included)
4 tostado shells
1 cup guacamole
1 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups finely chopped lettuce
2 cups shreeded mexican cheese (optional)
1 tbsp. of vegetable oil
1. Nacho Cheese: Put 2 1/2 cups of water in food processor with the remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Pour mixture into a saucepan and warm over medium heat for about 30minutes or until heated through, stirring occassionally to prevent burning. For the last five minutes whisk in cornstarch until smooth and the sauce has thickened. If too thick add more water to your liking.
2. In a skillet over medium heat add the beefy crumbles through chili powder. Cook until warmed through and seasoning is fully incorporated. Drain excess water if needed.
3. Stack 4 tortillas and put tostado in middle. With a knife carefully cut around tostado to make small tortillas. Set aside
4. With large tortillas add 1/4 cup of meat mixture in middle of each tortilla. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of cheese sauce on top of meat, then place tostado shell on top. Spread guacamole on top of the shell, then top with lettuce, tomato and cheese.
5. Place cut tortilla rounds on top of each crunchwrap and fold edges into center all the way around. Place on tray pleat side down until ready to cook. Repeat process with remainder.
6. Heat a cast iron skillet with oil over medium heat. Once ready working one at a time add crunchwrap supreme seam side down and cook until golden brown about 4 minutes. Flip and cook otherside until golden as well.
7. Repeat with the rest of crunchwraps and serve with hot sauce as desired. Enjoy!